Questions you may ask about cookies
What are cookies, and how do they work?
Can I make Cookie choice as per the device I may use?
Cookies relate to each device, and therefore if you are accessing the same webpage from multiple devices (phone, iPad, and laptop for example), you need to set your cookie preferences for each device. If you say no to marketing cookies on your laptop for example, you will still get marketing on your phone if you have not also selected your preferences specifically on your phone.
What are the different categories of cookies?
- Session Cookie Session Cookies are operational only for the duration that you are accessing a website. Once you close your browser, the cookie is deleted. These types of cookies are normally used for ensuring security when you connect to the webpage, or to save things you do for that session, such as items you add to a shopping basket.
- Persistent Cookie Persistent Cookies remain stored in your device until they expire (some cookies have an expiration date), or until you delete them. These types of cookies are usually used to capture your behavior when you access a website, such as how long you spend on a page, which pages you have viewed, as well as your preferences for marketing and advertising or our events.
What are the different types of cookies?
- Essential Cookies DBVI uses ‘Essential Cookies’ for what we regard as the essential functions of our website, such as ensuring the security of the webpage you are visiting and enabling functionality that allows you to move around and use the website, storing items in your shopping basket.
- Analytical and Performance Cookies ‘Performance Cookies’ monitor how many people visit the website, how long people spend viewing the website, and which pages are visited for the longest period. This is not an exhaustive list, but an indication of the purposes of Performance Cookies. Analytical Cookies then analyze this activity further.
- Functional Cookies These are cookies that can remember who you are, and your preferences that you have chosen, for example, language and appearance of the webpage, which may depend on the browser you are using. This type of cookie, also remembers your cookie preferences.
- Marketing and Advertising Cookies These Cookies are used to provide marketing and specific tailored adverts to you. Cookies for these purposes, can be set by DBVI, and are called ‘First Party Cookies’ and operate on our own website only.
- Third Party Cookies We use some third-party services on our website. If you go to a page on our website that contains this embedded content you may be sent cookies from these websites, for example Vimeo, Google maps, Facebook and Twitter. We do not control the setting of these cookies, so we suggest you check the third-party website for more information about their cookies and how to manage them.
What type of data do cookies contain?
This list is not an exhaustive list, and the type of data will depend on specific websites, and the purpose of the Cookie:
- Websites you visited and browsing history
- The type of device you are using
- Software and hardware on your device
- A unique id
- A session id
- A session start and end time
- Specific pages you have looked at
- Date you visited the website
- Expiry data of the cookie
- Passwords and user names
- Your preferences
- IP address
How do I give permission ‘Consent’ for using cookies?
There are a few ways in which you can give Consent for using Cookies that need your consent.
- You can click the box or boxes that pop up to allow us to use them when you first visit our website, and periodically when you continue to use our website.
- You can choose your preferences by enabling and disabling cookies within the browser you are using, for example, within Google Chrome, Safari or Mozilla Fire Fox.
How do I withdraw permission ‘Consent’ for using cookies?
To withdraw consent for cookies
- You can go into your browser settings and change the Cookie choices you have made.
- You may need to remove the persistent cookie text files that have an expiry date in the future.
- Deselect or reselect alternative choices, with tick boxes, where those options exist.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies unless you change your browser settings. If you wish to restrict, block or delete the cookies which are set by any websites, you can generally do this through your browser settings. These settings are usually found in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu of your internet browser.
Please note however that if you set your internet browser preferences to block all cookies, you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Unless you have adjusted your internet browser settings to block cookies, our site will set cookies.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit Cookies in USA.
How to change or stop how we communicate with you?
You can opt out of our emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our messages.
If you wish to change or stop how we communicate with you, please get in touch with our Information Compliance Manager through following options:
Dada Bhagwan Vignan Institute,
100 SW Redbud Lane
Topeka, KS 66606-2240